Plan
Desk Plan — House Echo — 2026-09-17
Briefing reference: /Users/dadbot/Desktop/ClaudeBod/projects/dadbrain/Analysis/briefings/2026-09-17-pm.md PM: ECHO
Shared Market Read
- Event risk today: LOW. No Tier-1 event within 7 trading days. The FOMC resolved yesterday (unanimous 25bp hike to 3.75–4.00%, one-more-hike dot). Today is post-decision digestion, not a decision day. Only scheduled reads: 8:30 ET Initial Jobless Claims (prior 206K) and Philadelphia Fed (consensus 31.3 vs prior 47.4 — a sharp give-back implied). Both MEDIUM, neither a market-binary. Firm-wide status GO.
- Session character expected: news-driven / mixed — a relief gap-up that is likely to digest rather than trend cleanly. The briefing is explicit: "expect range-bound behavior with two-way risk, not a clean one-way tape." The two live pivots: (1) does the semis bid hold once the open's relief is priced? (2) does the 10-yr re-assert toward 5% and re-apply the rate pressure? Do not pre-assign overall direction on this digestion day. The prior EOD pointer holds: on a hawkish-confirmation session the de-rated tech complex is the relative hold, not the default weak leg — so today's semis bid is a genuine signal, not a trap to fade reflexively.
- VIX regime: 16.02 — LOW (<18), down from prior close 17.71. LOW is the weakest cohort for both my stacks (ECHO's
vol_ratio ≥ 1.2 / exhaustion_score ≥ 0.80 need genuine participation; SURGE's PF is 1.36 in VIX < 20 vs 2.18 at 20–30). Log the bucket per trade (TEMPER disaggregates against it). - Key levels: SPY prior close 754.05 (prior range 749.67–761.63; SMA20 764.63 — below; ATR14 6.44). QQQ prior close 704.70 (prior range 700.04–711.76; SMA20 712.69 — below; ATR14 8.19). Pre-market points to a gap-up, semis-led open (SPY futures +0.87%, QQQ +1.15%; AMD +2.1%, INTC +2.6%, MU +1.8%, AVGO +1.6%). Rates anchor: the 10-yr ~4.98%, off the 5.04% 2007-high re-test — the transmission check on whether the tech relief holds. Energy anchor: oil easing a second straight session (Saudi East-West pipeline restoration timeline — ~half capacity within days, full in ~6 weeks); Brent rolling off the $107 weekend high; XLE −1.2% premarket.
- Macro backdrop: post-FOMC relief digestion — the Fed hiked into a 10-yr at a 19-year high and structurally elevated oil, and the market is trying to find a post-decision footing. The semis complex (the day's dominant directional theme) is bid after weeks of de-rating; the question is whether the relief holds against the long-end.
- Desk-level consequence: both stacks are live today (no hard skip — FOMC was yesterday, not today). But the session character is the structural enemy of both Family 2 expressions: a relief-gap digestion day is neither a clean one-way trend (SURGE's precondition) nor a completed, gate-confirmed program (ECHO's precondition). Both are live but low-probability. This is the honest read, not a hedge:
echo p_trade 0.25 / short / low, surge p_trade 0.15 / long / low.
ECHO — dynamic universe (SPY/XLE/XBI baseline), close-leg exhaustion fade at 15:30 ET
Setup present: possible, low-probability — the live path is SPY, and it is a weak-to-moderate program. p_trade 0.25, direction short, conviction low.
The Scanner watchlist qualifies three directional catalysts today, and I evaluate each against my gate stack at 10:00 and 15:20:
- SPY — UP (relief gap-up), weak-to-moderate program quality. The broad-market directional program is real (pre-market futures +0.87%, qualifies on ≥ ±0.5%) and the intrinsic-catalyst rule is satisfied (index-level macro catalyst). This is my only genuine live candidate. But the briefing flags it as a digestion day — the bid may fade if the 10-yr re-tops toward 5%. My mechanism needs a program that ran all day and is substantially complete by 15:20; a relief gap that fades mid-session never completes, and a relief gap that holds into the close is a strengthening driver — the exact 09-15 loss template (fading the driver's own strengthening move, −$64.98). The discriminating input is whether the semis bid survives the open and persists through the afternoon. If SPY's morning signal is up and the program completes with vol_ratio ≥ 1.2 and exhaustion_score ≥ 0.80, I fade short at 15:30. If the bid fades before 15:20, no program, no trade.
- XLE — DOWN (oil rolling over), headline-driven, not a clean program. The watchlist itself flags this: "headline-driven, not a clean program." Oil easing on a restoration timeline is a supply-story headline, not a completed institutional program. My 08-10 rule refuses fading a strengthening driver; today the driver is weakening (oil down), which is the correct side of that rule — but the catalyst quality is too thin to qualify as a gate-confirmed program. Low-probability candidate; I will not pre-commit to it.
- XBI — not qualified. No FDA catalyst today. Not a candidate.
Sizing vs. event risk: event risk is LOW, so no event-driven size reduction is warranted. Standard sizing applies if and only if a full gate stack clears: 0.75% dollar risk per instrument, session budget 2.0% ($500), proportional scaling if combined risk exceeds budget. My hard flat is 15:58 ET — this stack never carries overnight exposure, and with no Tier-1 event today there is no event tail to size against. The binding constraint is not sizing; it is whether a program completes at all on a digestion tape.
Key levels (context, not triggers): SPY 754.05 prior close / SMA20 764.63 / ATR 6.44; QQQ 704.70 / SMA20 712.69 / ATR 8.19; XLE −1.2% premarket on the oil rollover; the 10-yr's hold-or-reject of ~5.00% as the transmission check on whether the semis relief holds.
Invalidation: stand down entirely if (1) the semis bid fades and SPY's morning signal is sub-±0.25% or direction-changes ≥2 times in the first half-hour (contested relief, no established program), or (2) vol_ratio stays sub-1.2 through 15:20 (LOW-VIX digestion participation — the modal case), or (3) SPY's morning signal is up but the driver is still strengthening into the close window (the 09-15 loss template — do not fade a strengthening driver). The most likely outcome is a wide vol_ratio block, which is regime (no exhaustible program on a two-way digestion tape), not a threshold graze.
SURGE — SPY/QQQ, VWAP pullback resumption (10:00–12:00 ET)
Setup present: unlikely — this is my documented catalyst-gap loss class, minus the hard skip. p_trade 0.15, direction long, conviction low.
SURGE is live today — FOMC was yesterday, so no hard skip fires. But the session character is the structural enemy of my mechanism, and I want that on the record so the low forecast is not read as merely mechanical:
- This is my catalyst-gap shape. The 07-24 TEMPER learning (0/2 on catalyst-gap sessions) and the 06-17/06-18 observations both point the same way: on a relief-gap day, the first-hour price action is a price-discovery process, not a clean trend establishment — the three-phase structure (trend → measured pullback → resumption) is fundamentally invalid there. Today is a post-FOMC relief gap-up; the first-hour move is the market pricing the relief, not a committed institutional trend.
- LOW VIX (16.02) is my weakest cohort — PF 1.36 in VIX < 20 vs 2.18 at 20–30. My thesis lives in elevated vol; this is its floor.
- The chronic binding gate is
pullback_resumption. Even on a clean day the three-phase structure has denied me ≥11 trend-qualified sessions since 07-15 (including 08-13 with both legs qualified simultaneously). On a two-way digestion tape, the measured-pullback-to-VWAP-then-resume structure has little chance of forming — the relief gap either fades (no trend to resume) or chops (no clean pullback). - The one live path: the pre-market gap is large enough (SPY +0.87%, QQQ +1.15%) that a first-hour impulse ≥ ±0.30% is plausible — the floor is likely to clear. If a leg then establishes a clean trend, pulls back to VWAP on contracting volume, and resumes within the 10:00–12:00 window, I take it. Given the relief-gap bias, direction would be long if a signal fires. But the resumption precondition — the gate that has denied me all period — is the binding constraint, and a digestion tape is the least likely backdrop for it to complete.
Sizing vs. event risk: event risk is LOW, so no event-driven reduction. Standard sizing applies only if a full three-phase structure completes: 0.75% ($187.50), single position, co-fire limiter (stronger |signal_return| between SPY/QQQ wins), hard flat 14:00 ET. No event tail to size against today.
Key levels (context, not triggers): SPY 754.05 prior close, range 749.67–761.63, ATR 6.44, SMA20 764.63 (below). QQQ 704.70, range 700.04–711.76, ATR 8.19, SMA20 712.69 (below). Both legs' session VWAP through the 10:00–12:00 window is the operative level — the pullback must touch it and resume.
Invalidation: stand down entirely if (1) the relief gap fades and neither leg produces a first-hour impulse ≥ ±0.30% (the modal outcome on a digestion day), or (2) a leg trend-qualifies but no VWAP-touch pullback resumes within the window (the chronic pullback_resumption block — regime, not calibration), or (3) the 10-yr re-tops toward 5% and snaps the tech relief mid-morning, inverting the gap. The most likely outcome is a block at first_hour_signal or pullback_resumption, both of which are structural absence on a two-way tape, not threshold grazes.
Plan Filed
- Filed: 2026-09-17 04:45 PDT
- Frontmatter forecasts complete for every active member: yes
- Firm-wide status: GO (post-FOMC relief digestion, event risk LOW, VIX 16.02 LOW regime). No hard skip fires for either member — both are live but low-probability.
- Desk net forecast: ECHO
p_trade 0.25 / short / low, SURGE p_trade 0.15 / long / low. Both are the honest read of a session character that is structurally hostile to Family 2 expressions — a relief-gap digestion day is neither a clean one-way trend (SURGE) nor a completed, gate-confirmed program (ECHO). Not a hedge; a low-probability live path is a real forecast. - Carry: neither stack carries overnight risk — ECHO flat 15:58 ET, SURGE flat 14:00 ET. No Tier-1 event today, so no event tail.